Luxardo was founded by Girolamo Luxardo in 1821 after he moved to Zara with his family as a consular representative of the Kingdom of Sardinia and his wife became interested in perfecting the liqueur “rosolio maraschino.” He obtained an exclusive privilege from the Emperor of Austria after 8 years of research and hard work to perfect the Luxardo liqueur. By 1913, Luxardo's success had led the third generation Luxardo leaders, Michelangelo Luxardo and Nicolo Luxardo, to build a modern distillery that would become one of the largest of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and later Italy’s most important distillery after the conclusion of the First World War. Unfortunately, the Second World War nearly ended Luxardo, with the near destruction of the distillery and the deaths of Piero Luxardo, Nicolo Luxardo, and his wife Bianca. Thankfully, with the courage and vision of Girogio Luxardo as well as the help of the young fifth generation Nicolò, the distillery was rebuilt in the Veneto region in 1947. Today, Luxardo is led by the sixth generation of the family, who have embraced the tradition, perseverance, and innovation that has allowed Luxardo to to thrive even in the face of hardship. In addition to the Maraschino that started it all, Luxardo has a full line of classic and gourmet liqueurs capable of serving all kinds of culinary purposes, Original Maraschino Cherries, and a selection of premium jams.