The Founder of Cahills Farm Dairy, David Cahill, immigrated from Rockchapel in North Cork to America in the 1860s, settling in Lawrence, Massachusetts. By the turn of the century he had become a successful businessman owning his own bar & Horse Repository. Longing for home, he sold his public house and bought a working dairy farm in 1902. After some trouble disposing of stables with the advent of the automobile, as well as his wife’s ill health, he began selling milk from door to door in Newcastle West. To service this more lucrative business, David built a new small dairy in 1910. By the mid 1920s the business passed on to David’s nephew, William Cahill, who continued the family dairy business. In the 1950’s the arrival of pasteurised milk led the Cahills towards making soft cheese, and in 1972 William’s son David and his family took over the Cahill’s Farm business and began to concentrate on handcrafted flavoured cheeses. Today Cahill’s award winning farm cheese range has become a recognized range of cheese all over the world.